What is the New Tax Deadline for 2022 Pakistan
What is the New Tax Deadline for 2022 Pakistan? Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has issued a circular to relax the income tax return filing deadline up to December 15, 2022.
However, the FBR issued Circular No. 18 of 2022 to extend the last date for filing income tax returns for the tax year 2022 up to December 15, 2022, from November 30, 2022.
Further, it is the third date extension for return filing for the tax year 2022 granted by the FBR. Previously, the revenue body issued Circular No. 17 2022 last month. To grant an extension in the date for filing an income tax return to November 30, 2022, from October 30, 2022.
The latest date extension has been granted given requests from various trade bodies and tax bars.
With the fresh date extension, taxpayers including salaried persons, business individuals, an association of persons (AOPs), and companies other than having account year July to June would able to file the return of income.
However, the corporate entities having a financial year between July 01 to June 30 are required to file their income tax returns by December 31 every year.
The FBR through SRO 978(I)/2022 dated June 30, 2022, issued an income tax return forms for the tax year 2022. Giving statutory time to taxpayers for making compliance in filing returns.
Which Persons are Required to File Annual Income Tax Returns in Pakistan?
Moreover, section 14 of the Income Tax Ordinance, 2001, highlighted the categories of taxpayers, who are required to file their annual return of income and wealth statement.
However, according to Income Tax Ordinance, of 2001, the following class of taxpayers are required to file a returns of income:
- — every company
- — every person (other than a company) whose taxable income for the year exceeds the maximum amount that is not chargeable to tax under this Ordinance for the year
- — any non-profit organization as defined in clause (36) of section 2;
- Moreover, every person whose income for the year is subject to final taxation under any provision of this Ordinance
Other persons who require to file tax returns
However, any person not covered by above clauses are also required to file return of income who,—
- (i) has been charged to tax in respect of any of the two preceding tax years;
- (ii) claims a loss carried forward under this Ordinance for a tax year;
- (iii) owns immovable property with a land area of five hundred square yards or more or owns any flat located in areas falling within the municipal limits existing immediately before the commencement of Local Government laws in the provinces; or areas in a Cantonment; or the Islamabad Capital Territory;
- (iv) owns immoveable property with a land area of five hundred square yards or more located in a rating area;
- (v) owns a flat having covered area of two thousand square feet or more located in a rating area;
- (vi) owns a motor vehicle having engine capacity above 1000 CC;
- (vii) has obtained National Tax Number; or
- (viii) is the holder of commercial or industrial connection of electricity. Where the amount of annual bill exceeds rupees five hundred thousand;
- (ix) is a resident person registered with any chamber of commerce and industry. Or any trade or business association or any market committee. Or any professional body including Pakistan Engineering Council, Pakistan Medical and Dental Council. Pakistan Bar Council or any Provincial Bar Council. Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan or Institute of Cost and Management Accountants of Pakistan; or
- (x) is a resident person being an individual required to file foreign income and assets statement under section 116A.
Moreover, the FBR said that filing of income tax return is also mandatory. For persons or classes of persons notified by the Board with the approval of the Minister in-charge.