Weekly Sensitive Price Indicator (SPI) for the week ended on August 25 2022
Weekly Sensitive Price Indicator (SPI) for the week ended on August 25 2022:. The inflation based on the Sensitive Price Indicator (SPI) has surged by around 45 percent by the week ended August 25, 2022, according to data released by the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) on Friday.
Sensitive Price Indicator (SPI) – Year on Year Basis
The Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) said that prices of essential items had recorded an increase of 44.58 percent year on year for the week ended August 25, 2022.
The essential items which recorded an increase in prices during the period included:
- Tomatoes (178.10 percent),
- Onions (155.14 percent),
- Diesel (108.77 percent),
- Petrol (94.53 percent),
- Pulse Masoor (90.74 percent),
- Cooking Oil 5 liter (70.61 percent),
- Mustard Oil (67.58 percent),
- Vegetable Ghee 2.5 Kg (64.71 percent),
- Vegetable Ghee 1 Kg (63.93 percent),
- Washing Soap (63.27 percent),
- Electricity for Q1 (63.03 percent),
- Chicken (55.76 percent) and
- Pulse Gram (55.07 percent),
- Chilies Powder (43.42 percent),
- Sugar (16.90 percent) and
- Gur (1.21 percent).
Sensitive Price Indicator (SPI) – Week to Week Basis
The PBS said that the Sensitive Price Indicator (SPI) for the current week ended on August 25, 2022, recorded an increase of 1.83 percent.
The increase is observed in the prices of food items,
- Tomatoes (43.09 percent),
- Onions (41.13 percent),
- Potatoes (6.32 percent),
- Eggs (3.43 percent),
- Garlic (2.23 percent),
- Powdered Milk (1.53 percent), and
- Pulse Mash (1.12 percent),
- non-food items,
- Cigarettes (2.26 percent)
- and LPG (1.95 percent).
Decrease Observed in Prices of Goods
On the other hand, a decrease was observed in the prices of:
- Pulse Masoor (1.18 percent),
- Vegetable Ghee 1Kg (1.00 percent),
- Vegetable Ghee 2.5Kg (0.82 percent),
- Bananas (0.61 percent),
- Cooking Oil 5 liter (0.51 percent),
- Sugar (0.28 percent)
- and Mustard Oil (0.07 percent).
No of Goods’ Prices Increased / Decreased / Stable
During the week, out of 51 items,
- prices of 23 (45.10 percent) items increased,
- 07 (13.72 percent) items decreased and
- 21 (41.18 percent) items remained stable.
The bureau computes the SPI every week to assess the price movements of essential commodities at a shorter interval of time to review the price situation in the country. SPI comprises 51 essential items collected from 50 markets in 17 cities of the country.